Aaron Gilbert Hair Ralston, aka "Gil"

Date of Birth: 8/4/10, 7:46am (CST)
Weight: 8lb 60z
Length: 20"

Monday, December 6, 2010

Yes, Gil still exists!

Steven: When I was a child, I used to love rummaging through my Dad's desk which was full of interesting objects (to a kid) like paperweights and souvenirs and miscellaneous tax forms and calculators (which back then couldn't do much more than simple arithmetic). One drawer contained pictures of the kids and I used to love stacking them up in piles, one for each child. Four kids; four piles. You get the picture. And no, this was not an early sign of OCD, but rather an early sign of narcissism probably because I was concerned that I had fewer pictures than my other siblings. I was the third son, so the novelty of having children had long wore off and then my sister came along (yes, the Lake Victoria of my Nile of woes) (well, the source is somewhere in Rwanda, actually, but Lake Victoria is more recognizable, and I like the metaphor) (oh, and ESR: please forgive me for making a joke at your expense). So next to my small pile of pictures was a veritable tower of photographic filial love devoted to my sister.

And I don't want Gil to feel the same way. Ah, but it is inevitable, right? Two children. One will feel less loved, more protected, less favored, more put upon, less indulged, more restricted... So, I will give up on making them feel loved equally, only that they are both loved, both treasured, and both sources of great joy.

Anyway, so here is a picture of Gil, by far the most beloved 4-month old in my life right now. He is a gurgling, smiling, rolypoly mass of soft-skinned, formula-sucking, pee and poop making joy. And, by G-d is he cute or what?? Greater than 90th %ile for weight and height (17lb, 26" for those keeping track). And in the eyes of his dads, 100% perfect.

Happy Hanukkah!

No comments:

Post a Comment